It's Spring and a very good time to take a moment for some general health housekeeping! Here are some suggestions of essentials to help you and your primary care physician make the most of your relationship!
- Have you made an appointment for or already have had your annual physical by your PCP?
- If you received a “Health Risk Assessment” in the mail from your healthplan, have you completed and mailed it?
- Do you have a very good understanding of your health status and good knowledge of your chronic condition? If you don’t, do you have a plan to discuss that with your PCP on the next visit.
- Do you know how to take good care of yourself on healthy days and what to do during illness?
- Do you know warning signs or symptoms and how to respond to them?
- Do you have a Personal Health Record? A place to keep track of all your important information?
- Did your review all of your medications (including those over the counter or old prescriptions) with your PCP at your visit this year?
- Have you made appointments for recommended screenings and follow- up visits to specialists (including Dental and Mental Health providers)?
- Have you looked into the many Community Resources in your area? Don’t forget about Senior Centers and Transportation Services that are available to you!
- Have you completed Life Care planning such as Living Will, Advance Directive, 5 Wishes, POLST and discussed them with family, friends and your PCP?
Remember! Your PCP and the office staff are very interested in helping you to take good care of yourself! If you are uncomfortable talking to your doctor about something important, bring someone with you to help and write it down!
For assistance you may contact the Monarch HealthCare Case Management Help line @ 888-623-6274.