Optum helps your doctor by providing extra support for you. We’re made up of nurses, certified diabetes educators, health educators, social workers, pharmacists and others. Your doctor calls on us when you need the extra support.
Think of us as your care coaches. We work closely with your doctors to help you reach your optimal health. And, there is no cost to you for Optum services.
Here’s how Optum cares.
If you have a long-term medical problem: Disease management
Examples include diabetes, congestive heart failure (CHF) and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Optum offers phone support to help you gain better control of your health.
If have questions about these conditions, please call our disease management office at 1-949-453-4179.
If you need help managing complicated care: Case management
Optum health care professionals will work with you and your doctor to help you get the care you need, wherever you need it. At home, in the hospital, nursing home or assisted living — you'll have the support you need to reach optimal health.
Help understanding and using your medicines: Medication review
An Optum pharmacist helps you understand how to use your medicines safely and properly. The pharmacist will talk with you by phone, or visit with you at home or at an Optum clinic.
Help staying in your home: Supportive care
This program is for seniors who:
- Have trouble living on their own
- Have at least two ongoing medical problems such as CHF, COPD, kidney failure, diabetes, dementia, Parkinson’s and cancer
A doctor-led team of nurses and social workers will visit the home to determine what type of care is needed.
Other ways we care
- Safe use of blood thinners (anti-coagulation medicine) monitoring. A team of cardiologists and pharmacists will work with you and your doctor.
- Fall prevention exercise and education programs to help protect yourself from falls at home and in public.
- Senior ambassadors who answer questions about the basics of Medicare.
- Optum Wellness Centers offer special screenings, tests and education programs. All information is shared with your doctor.
- Optum home visit program offers care if you’re not able to get to the doctor. Preventive care is offered as well. To qualify, you’ll need to meet certain medical guidelines.